Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What would you take with you? Is less more?

I have been reading blogs for a long time. A couple years ago I had family tell me to start a blog. I just never thought I could be that open. Just a few days ago I decided to look further into it...posted, posted a picture and stated... "This is my first blog, but I don't know if I will come out of the closet yet". I then posted on a blog I frequently read and my photo came up! WOW! I felt exposed! Quickly I deleted my first post and have thought about it for a couple days. I will post and see how it goes...or doesn't go.

I imagine my blog about fun times, people in general, decorating, food...and more food...and least of all about me, until I get brave. My first question would be to anyone who happens by this way. If you could go back in time to the Civil War era, with one piece of knowledge you currently have. What would you take with you and why? Would your knowledge change humanity?

I have often wondered about this. Spurred on by the Amish influence in my life. The main thing I noticed about an Amish life style for me is that I would have to get used to new smells! (no daily showers) And less mobility. Sometimes the simplicity may be nice though. If I could go back with one piece of knowledge it would have to be something about bacteria or even infection and how to fight it.

for fun check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfVw9xxoNY for Weird Al's version of Amish Paradise. He is pretty close to right on from what I saw.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Sheryl! Im so happy you started a blog. I hope things are going well for you and your family. I've missed and wish I could be closer to everyone. I'm going to add you as a friend. Keep in touch!

    P.S I love the picture you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I'm glad you started a blog. It'll be so fun to see all the fun things you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paige for the photo compliment. You know, when you cut away 98% of anyone they can look o.k. :)

    Giselle, maybe you can give me pointers...yours is so colorful and full of fun stuff. I can't even figure out how to post a picture. But...on to that later. Tonight I have to hit the homework!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sending me your blog....I love to keep up with people. If blogging is scary going out to the world, you can limit your readers to people of your choice....therefore, the whole world can't read your blog. That's what I do. I don't think I have you on my list, I'll change that this afternoon.

    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I'm adding you to my family links. Let me know if that's not ok and I'll take it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a bumper sticker Dan made in graphics class. -Kill Inhibition. I say go for it, explore the darkness that hides within you mom ! How do you really feel about the color of your couches? Tell us your true opinion of the fridge!

    I'm kidding-

    But seriously, do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH! It's about time. I'm so glad you started a blog. I love your comments on my blog. I don't know what I would take if I went back to civil war time but I'm so glad I don't have to. I am so grateful for modern conveniences--I hate being cold and I would be so dang ugly without all the help I get from modern science. Thank goodness for diapers and babywipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Disposable diapers for sure would be hard to give up. I tried cloth for a time with Dan, we had 2 bathrooms so any dirty dipers were left in the toilet for Stan when he came home. How sick huh! Then, HE would have to dump the pail in the washer...ohhh yuck! the thought! I think that pail went to the garbage full of used diapers. As if I didn't learn I tried them again with the twins. I saw the cutest easter outfits I wanted that would cost the same as one month of diapers. ($80.00 in 1986)..lasted one week. I just couldn't do it. I decided the easter outfits were not that cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheryl - I'm glad you started a blog! I've loved and appreciated your well-thought out comments on Brooke and Ashley's blogs. This will be a way I can keep up better with you and the "other half" of my fam.
    I gotta think about your question. I'm like Brooke - there's a reason I came to earth when I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So how does everyone find time to read zillion's of people's blogs? Being in Sheryl's generation [but she's older than me ;)], I haven't gotten into blogging. Good job,though, Sheryl. It's fun to see yours. I've enjoyed the blogs I've looked at when someone specifically told me to look at theirs but that's all I've done. But then, I lived through cloth diapers with two of my kids (maybe partially a third???) and felt sorry for poor baby bottoms that had to have paper and plastic next to them. ;) (at the same time feeling jealous that us poor students couldn't afford disposable)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't see how I can think of just one thing to want to take back. But at the moment, perhaps I'd like to take back an electric blanket. I love electric blankets! I love warm things. We've had very cold weather this week. (VA) Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 33. I'm very happy right now to get to go into my nice warm bed that's had the electric blanket heating it up for me. I love getting into a warm bed! (even if I don't know how to sign my name to a comment properly?)

    ReplyDelete